Wednesday, July 10, 2013

I am not 25 any longer

Last week my wife and I spent a wonderful vacation in Cancun, Mexico despite a minor setback; me getting sick and not able to do anything for 2 days. And despite what you might be thinking, “Hey it’s Mexico don’t drink the water”, that was not the cause of my downfall.

My belief that I can still eat, drink and be as active as I was 20 years ago was the real culprit here. My ego is a bit out of whack when it comes to being realistic of what I can and cannot do. Frankly the whole thing sucks; getting older sucks. Having to watch what I eat and drink sucks. Having to be more realistic about what I physically can and cannot do sucks.

I told my wife I should buy a t-shirt that says “I am not 25 any longer” before our next vacation and wear it for the first few days.  Her reply was:  “I will buy a t-shirt for myself that says ‘You are not 25 any longer’”.  She has always been very supportive of my decisions, even the bad ones.


So no more day long drinking fests of Captain Morgan and Coke and Long Island Ice Tea’s. Now it’s a Peña Colada after dinner and done. And dinner is now a piece of plain chicken. I remember Grandma Ruth always ordered plain chicken no matter what restaurant we went to.  We were all just a little bit embarrassed and all of us tried to convince her it was OK to splurge a little and eat something that tasted better then plain chicken. Now I know what she was up to. She knew better than we did: Wise beyond her years.

So, 4 bags of I.V. fluid with medicine (Ranitidine, Butilhioscina, Amikacin, Ciprofloxacin, Metoclopramide) later and I was back on my feet, mostly. The doctor at the resort, Dr. Manuel de Jesus Cruz Toledo, who was fantastic and very nice, recommended I take it easy the next couple of days and of course I still had to take medicine, ciprofloxacin, twice a day for the next 7 days.


Lesson learned? Only time will tell. J

No comments:

Post a Comment